Sunday, April 18, 2010

Lemon Cupcakes

She Wore Lemon
I like citrus desserts they are always refreshing and seem to clean you pallet. I've made these cupcakes before for both my brother's wedding shower and his wedding. But as always I changed the recipe to make it my own. The recipe called for self rising flour but instead I used cake flour with a teaspoon of baking powder as the rising agent. I used my new and shiny juicer to squeeze all the juice out of the lemons! It's so much better then me squeezing a lemon with my hands like I did for my brother's wedding. The cake is light and not as lemony as you might expect it to be that's where the frosting comes into play.


I used the liners that my mom bought me from Crate & Barrel they are very spring like. I usually make the lemon cupcakes with a lemon frosting, but this time around I wanted to switch it up and experiment with swirling two flavors together. I ended up with Lemon Raspberry frosting.... half lemon half raspberry. The lemon itself is kind of tart because of the freshly squeezed lemon juice and zest and the raspberry is a nice complementary flavor because they also have a tendency of being a bit tart. They are very tasty and refreshing. I'm really happy the way these turned out. =)


3 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful!! I want some!! Hee hee!! I love those liners too! Very Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really make a pretty picture. And I'll bet they were refreshing as you wrote. Lemon & Raspberry seems to be a classic pairing so I've seen from several recipes. Also, I see alot of Lemon & Blueberries paired together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom tried them today she said they reminded her of Sherbert.

    ReplyDelete