Monday, June 21, 2010

Triple Citrus Cupcakes with Citrus Glaze

It's been a while since I've baked and or posted an entry. I've made a few things like a 4 layer chocolate cake for John's birthday and some more Carrot Cake Cupcakes for my mom's birthday. It's been really warm lately and it doesn't help that I live on the top floor of an apartment complex that doesn't have A.C.. So needless to say I seem to bake if its not already an oven in the apartment.

Anyway for father's day this year we were having a cookout w my parents and my Great Aunts and I wanted to try something new and refreshing for the summer time. So in the good ol Martha Stewart Cupcake book there was this recipe for these Triple Citrus Cupcakes. The interesting thing about this recipe is that the only flavoring is 3 types of zest... Lime, Lemon & Orange. Also another odd thing is that there is no leavening agent. No baking power or soda which I found to be really strange!


The glaze itself consisted of three things powdered sugar, lime zest and lime juice. The glaze is a bit tart but it is a nice compliment to the cake. Strange observation... the day these were made after trying them the cake didn't taste like much and all you tasted was the lime glaze, but after a day of them sitting in the fridge (like I said my apartment is an oven) and trying them again the citrus flavor was more apparent more flavorful.

I really liked these! I thought they are quite refreshing and are a nice alternative.

1 comment:

  1. So good!!! I thought they were a tad dense, probably because of the no levening agent thing, but overall very good and very refreshing which is what you were going for! I though the glaze was nice, I don't normal like glazes but I think with the citrus in it, it was great!

    ReplyDelete